As I sit here typing it is an outrageous 99ºF outside! I mean c’mon! I’m basically in Portland, ya know, where it rains all the time. Wrong!!! I’m thanking God, and my local hvac guy (dude who installed my new furnace last November) for my wonderfully efficient central a/c! So, I’m pretty much holed up in my cool house and craving something sweet. But I don’t want to turn on the oven to bake something or work up a sweat over the stove top cooking fudge or that Panna Cotta recipe I want to try (I so can’t wait to try my hand at that).
So, I thought it’d be a perfect day to whip up a batch of some yummy Muddy Buddy Chex Mix, (aka Puppy Chow I’ve recently learned). I’ve only made it a time or two with the typical semi-sweet chocolate chips called for in the original recipe. But I only had white chocolate chips on hand. So, I swapped the semi-sweet chips for the white and followed the rest of the basic recipe. Let me tell you, this is so easy and quick to make I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. Probably because I usually don’t have a whole box of Chex cereal on hand, as you almost use the entire box. The best part is you don’t heat up your kitchen to make it and it makes alot! But that’s a good thing, because it’ll be gone before you know it.
Apparently, there are many different versions on the web you can use to tweak the original recipe, such as: lemon, cupcake batter, cookies n cream, fluffer nutter, cookie dough, samoa (you know those addicting Girl Scout cookies?), cotton candy, peppermint bark, strawberry shortcake, red velvet cake, Butterfinger (omg!) … *takes a deep breath* … and so on. Also, for all you gluten sensitive people out there, these are gluten free (unless a variation of it uses gluten of course)!
White Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Chex Mix (I used Rice Chex, but you can use corn or whatever variation of Chex they have)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (can be swapped out for semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate chips)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 – 4 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl measure out Chex mix and set aside.
- In a glass or microwavable bowl measure chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter into the bowl and heat on High uncovered in 30 second intervals, stirring after each time until evenly melted and smooth. (Be careful not too over heat as chocolate can easily scorch). Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour melted mixture over cereal, tossing carefully until evenly coated. (Don’t worry if every piece is not coated).
- At this point you have 2 options: 1 – pour this mixture into a large ziploc bag, sprinkle the powdered sugar inside, seal bag and shake until well coated. Or 2 – Leave mixture in bowl and sprinkle the powdered sugar a cup at a time and toss gently until all pieces are coated. Some prefer a little less sugar and use just 2 cups and others like more. (I used about 3 cups, it gave a nice coating over all of it without making it too ‘dry’).
- Cover the bowl so it’s airtight or seal the bag and store in the refrigerator.
Tips: If you love peanut butter like I do, use another quarter cup for a more peanut buttery taste. You can also use peanut butter chips instead and really get that peanut butter punch!
White Chocolate Muddy Buddy Pictorial
Gather your ingredients
Melt chips, peanut butter and butter in bowl
Stir until evenly melted and smooth
Pour over 9 cups of Chex Mix in a large bowl
Toss until fairly well incorporated, but as you can see, not every piece is completely coated
Add the powdered sugar and gently toss until the pieces are well coated
Place in the fridge for as long as you can stand it.
And enjoy! Store (or hide) in the fridge for best results.